Adam Filippi CPT, PES
Director of Global Scouting, Charlotte Hornets
Professional Player Development & Shooting Coach
The Dearborn, Michigan native grew up living between the US and Italy, and played professionally in the Italian B League. After numerous knee injuries and a playing career that never really took off, at the age of 25, he preferred to start a career in Basketball Operations.
Over the past 19 years his job has taken him all over the world, including Africa, South America, Russia, Australia, United Arab Emirates, Japan & China. Between scouting the globe and teaching fundamentals on the floor, he lives basketball 365 days a year, keeping abreast of anything and everything happening in the world of hoops.
Adam Filippi is presently the Director of Global Scouting for the Charlotte Hornets, after spending 10 seasons with the Los Angeles Lakers, winning 3 NBA championship rings. Before joining the Lakers in 2001, he was the youngest scout in the NBA with the New Jersey Nets in 1999, then founded and ran Global Vision, an international scouting service that consulted with various NBA teams and European clubs.
As a player development coach, Adam has worked with over 100 NBA and overseas professional players. Specializing in Shooting Mechanics and a world class shooter himself, Adam has written two instructional basketball books: “Shoot like the Pros: The Road to a Successful Shooting Technique” (2011), with foreword by Jerry West, which is considered by many coaches to be the best book on the art of shooting ever written; and “Mastering the Art of Free Throw Shooting”(2016) with foreword by Hubie Brown, the first book ever to address in depth the most unique and complicated shot in the game of basketball. Adam’s books, articles and clinic videos have been adopted by Associations in Slovenia, Italy and Japan. A Certified Personal Trainer and Performance Enhancement Specialist by the National Academy of Sports Medicine, he has conducted mini camps, workshops, and clinics in the USA, Spain, Italy, China, Ireland, Sweden, United Arab Emirates and more, to teach fundamental basketball skills to players of all ages and levels.
Adam and his wife Gaia are the proud parents of three beautiful girls, Jade, Amber, and Allegra. When not traveling around the world for work, he and his family divide their time between Italy and the USA.
- 19 year experience at NBA and Top European levels
- Certified Personal Trainer (CPT) & Performance Enhancement Specialist (PES) by NASM – National Academy Sports Medicine
- 3 NBA Championship Rings (2002, 2009, 2010) with the LA Lakers
- Founded and ran Global Vision – #1 International Scouting Service ’99-’02. Consulted with various NBA Teams and Top European Clubs
- 5 Italian Championships as Director of Scouting/Advisor to GM
- Trained over 100 NBA & Overseas Professional Players
- Wrote the basketball instructional book “Shoot like Pros: the Road to a Successful Shooting Technique”, foreword by Jerry West, which is considered by many coaches to be the best book on the art of shooting ever written.
- Wrote the basketball instructional book “Mastering the Art of Free Throw Shooting”, foreword by Hubie Brown
- Speaks 4 languages – English, Italian, Spanish, French
- Travelled to over 45 different countries
- Youngest scout in the NBA 1999 – 2002
- Player Development Coach at Impact Basketball 2007, 2008
- Conducted Shooting Clinic in Beijing in 2004
- Conducted Shooting Clinic at UCSB with Lakers Sasha Vujacic in 2008
- Conducted Shooting Clinic in Ignacio, Colorado in 2008
- Conducted Shooting Clinic and Fundamentals Camp in Port Laoise, Ireland in 2011
- Conducted Shooting Clinic for the Italian Coaches Association in Bologna & Rimini, Italy in 2012.
- Conducted Shooting and Player Development Clinics for the UAE Coaches Association in Abu Dhabi, UAE in 2014.
- Conducted Shooting Clinic for the Swedish Coaches Association in Stockholm, Sweden in 2015.
- Coached at Giants of Africa Big Man Camp in Lagos, Nigeria in 2008
- In 2004 orchestrated a move for the WNBA’s Los Angeles Sparks to sign Italian stars Laura Macchi and Raffaella Masciadri
- In his first Scouting job with Fortitudo Bologna (’97-’98) recruited NBA’s Marko Jaric and FC Barcelona’s Gianluca Basile
- 94% from Free Throw line in his last pro season in ’96-‘97
- 40 pts in a Italian B League game in 1995
- Grew up in Fortitudo Bologna Club, among the Top Youth Programs in Europe
What`s it mean to linked you, the nonfiction author